If you’ve just had a new deck installed at your Maryland home, chances are you can’t wait to give it that first test run. But before you invite all your friends over for a BBQ, you’ll want to make sure the deck looks its best and that it is protected—with a high quality wood stain or deck sealant. The ideal time to stain your new deck will vary, depending upon the exact type of wood or deck building material used.
Does My Decking Need Stain?
The most important consideration when you’re thinking about deck stain is to follow manufacturer and installer instructions about:
- Whether or not your decking needs to be stained
- What kind of stain to use
- How to prep before staining
- When the deck should be stained
When Should I Stain My Deck?
Many wood stain manufacturers advise waiting anywhere from three months to a full year, in order to allow your natural wood decking material to dry or cure before deck sealing or staining. The crucial aspect that you must get right, no matter the overall timing you plan on, is deck preparation before staining.
General Deck Staining Steps For a Wood Deck:
- The delay required before staining natural wood decking materials allows the wood to dry and the mill glaze to wear off, so that the stain will penetrate properly.
- Professional deck builders can check to be sure your variety of wood has reached its minimum moisture content, for best deck sealing results.
- As the wood dries out over time, it will become a gray color.
- Then, use a wood cleaning product to power wash, or scrub away, the grayed outer layer.
- Next, you’ll need to apply a brightening product, designed to neutralize the deck cleaner and open the pores of the wood.
- Allow the brightener to dry for a day or two.
- Now you’re ready to finish the deck with the stain you prefer.
- Use a single coat and/or a thinner formula for proper penetration.
Timing: Ideally, you should stain or seal your deck at end of the summer.
Advantages of Professional Deck Sealing
To be certain your deck staining and sealing is done right, go with an expert for durable, attractive sealing that:
- Preserves, protects, and beautifies your deck.
- Creates a water-resistant surface that looks new for years.
- Protects against all types of MD weather.
- Helps to ward off scratches/surface damage and mold.
- Reduces maintenance requirements.
- Extends the life of your deck, guaranteed.
Get the Best Deck on the Block in Your Maryland Neighborhood
The Certified Master Deck Builders at Diamond Decks can design and build the dream deck you’ve always wanted! Already have a deck? We can inspect it and recommend our deck resurfacing or deck sealing service to revive, upgrade and improve it. Consultations and estimates are no charge.
For more tips on deck care, deck staining and sealing in Ellicott City, Columbia, Annapolis, and surrounding areas, check our library of blog posts—or just call us! We’re happy to help! Contact the deck experts at Diamond Decks today!